P. O. Box 76, Prospect, VA 23960 Prospect Historical Society Preserving the Past Inspiring the Future Historic Prospect Home Historic Prospect Store Prospect Happenings Gallery Contact Today & Yesterday
© Prospect Historical Society, 2013
Prospect Depot Built in the early 1850’s by the South Side Rail Road, the Depot saw travelers, soldiers, salesmen, the U. S. mail, and freight come and go from the village of Prospect.  The Prospect Historical Society is in the process of restoring the depot to its early appearance.  
Post Office / Lewis Law Office Local attorney Jimmy Lewis practiced law in the two-room brick office from the 1940’s into the 1960’s.  When the political winds were favorable, Lewis was the post master and his wife Miss Ruby was the postal clerk in the wood-framed post office.
E. S. Taylor & Co. Store This former tobacco warehouse, became the E. S. Taylor & Co store in the 1890’s.  The general store traded “Taylor money” for eggs, butter, produce, etc. from the farmers. The company reorganized in 1938 under the name Taylor Bros. and dissolved in 1943.  Crawley Supply Co. followed.  Glenn-Carson Store was the final occupant, closing in the 1950’s.
Prospect High School  1924-1946 Prospect High School, grades 1 through 11, was one of three schools that stood on the school yard site. A wood-framed two-room school was replaced by this brick structure, which burned in 1946. The third school, which opened in 1947, was a smaller brick elementary which closed in 1959 and was demolished in the early 1970’s.
Three Mansions The three handsome homes on Railroad Avenue in Prospect were built in the early 1900’s.  Extensive gardens surrounded the first home, once owned by Claude and Ora Chick.  Ray Glenn, service station owner and operator, built the second home.  R. L. (Bob) Taylor and his daughter were longtime residents of the third home.
The Allen Hotel Charles Arthur Allen and first wife Ellen Allen operated the Allen Hotel in the early 1900’s for travelers and salesmen stopping in Prospect.  Allen’s second wife Ethel Love Allen continued to operate the Hotel as a boarding house into the 1950’s.
Historic Prospect